Faerie approved vegan shortbread flower cookies!
I made these Faerie Shortbread Flower Cookies for Beltane using forget-me-nots, dianthus and pear blossoms growing in my garden.
Be sure to leave a cookie or two and a little bit of milk outside in your garden as an offering to the Fae.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups softened vegan butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Any of the following edible flowers: primrose, pansies, forget-me-nots, blackthorn blossoms, apple blossoms, pear blossoms, clover, dandelions, lilacs, dianthus, wild rose, violets.
Makes about 24 cookies
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl stir the flour and powdered sugar together. Then add the softened butter and vanilla and mix until well combined. The dough will look crumbly and soft but should hold together when squeezed in your hands.
3. Place a sheet of parchment paper on your countertop and sprinkle with a bit of flour. Form the dough into a ball and place it in the middle of the parchment and sprinkle a little flour on top of it.
4. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough and roll it out to about 1/3-1/2 of an inch thick.
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut into your desired shapes and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the bottom is slightly golden. Sprinkle them with granulated sugar on top and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Decorate your cookies with the edible flowers.
***Recipe adapted from Nora Cooks